Ostomy issues – managing your pouching system
There are many ways to help you manage your pouching system. From when to change your pouch to getting the best adhesion of your skin barrier. Here are tips to consider.
How often a person needs to change his or her pouching system depends on the type of system. Many pouching systems can be worn for 3 to 7 days. Some pouching systems are made to be changed every day. However, a person should change the barrier as soon as stool starts to go underneath it and onto the skin.
The length of time the barrier stays sealed to the skin depends on many things:
- How well the barrier fits
- The condition of the skin around the stoma
- The person’s level of physical activity
- The shape of the body around the stoma
When changing a pouch system, the person should:
- Wipe away any mucus on the stoma
- Clean the skin around the stoma with warm water and a washcloth
- Rinse the skin thoroughly
- Dry the skin completely
If using a mild soap to clean the skin, the soap should not have oils, perfumes, or deodorants, which may cause skin problems or can keep the skin barrier from sticking.
A pouch that is too full may start to pull away from your skin. Empty or change your pouch when it is 1/3 full.
Before applying a new pouch, you will need to wash away any oil from adhesive removers that are used to remove the skin barrier, tape, and sticky residue.
- Skin sealants are available in the form of sprays, wipes, roll on, and gels.
- A sealant may help by adding a protective coating on the skin if your skin is sensitive to adhesives.
- Some people who have dry or oily skin find that their pouching system sticks better when they use a skin sealant.
- Most skin sealants contain alcohol. If the skin has an open area, the sealant will cause a burning sensation when applied. Alcohol-free (non-sting) skin sealants are available.
- Make sure the skin sealant dries completely before putting the pouching system on your skin.
For further information, talk to one of our manufacturer-trained Ostomy Specialists to learn how Liberator Medical’s ostomy products may improve the quality of your life. We provide these free services:
- Access to Product Specialists to help you get the best ostomy products for your needs
- Customer Support -access to the most up-to-date ostomy news and information
- Online chat with ostomy specialists – A fast and discreet way to discuss sensitive issues
Call to speak with a specialist: 855-948-3319
Tips & guides
When it comes to ostomy supplies, there are many product choices and options to consider. Let us help.
We know you have lots of good questions. We’ve compiled a list of answers.
Talk to a specialist
Our experts are ready and waiting to answer your questions and provide you with the best solutions for your needs.