Ostomy issues – gas & odor
Managing gas and odor with your ostomy.
Certain foods may create excessive gas and odor. To decrease gas during the immediate post-operative period, avoid carbonated beverages, sipping through a straw, smoking, gas-producing foods, and skipping meals.
- Detectable odor is only anticipated when emptying or changing the pouch. If odor is noticed when not emptying or changing the pouch, the adhesive seal or closure is compromised.
- Pouches with filters allow excessive gas to exit the pouch without odor.
- Talk to your healthcare professional about using pouches with charcoal filters. A charcoal filter allows odor to be filtered out of the pouch along with gas.
- A liquid odor eliminator can also be used in the pouch to decrease odor.
A filter is a feature available on some pouches which allows gas to escape from the pouch. Filters may be integrated in the pouch during manufacturing or purchased separately and added to the pouch.
- Drainable pouches with an opening at the bottom have a clamp or integrated closure to keep the pouch closed until it istime to empty. These are available with and without filter for gas release.
- Closed End pouches, without an opening or clamp are also available with and without filters for gas release.
For further information, talk to one of our manufacturer-trained Ostomy Specialists to learn how Liberator Medical’s ostomy products can help.
We provide these free services:
- Access to Product Specialists to help you get the best ostomy products for your needs
- Customer Support -access to the most up-to-date ostomy news and information
- Online chat with ostomy specialists -a fast and discreet way to discuss sensitive issues
Call to speak with a specialist: 855-948-3319
Tips & guides
When it comes to ostomy supplies, there are many product choices and options to consider. Let us help.
We know you have lots of good questions. We’ve compiled a list of answers.
Talk to a specialist
Our experts are ready and waiting to answer your questions and provide you with the best solutions for your needs.